Monday, January 19, 2009

Here Comes the Bride

Sorry I've been so MIA - blame it on the 72 hour work week.

Anyway, this past - not long - weekend (I had to work on Monday even though our office was closed) provided a very nice break from my suddenly hectic (slightly psychotic) work schedule. My big sis and her fiance were in town, as well as Scoot's dad and step mom. We shopped, ate good food, had one too many cocktails and belly laughed all weekend long.

The newly engaged sis had some big plans for her time in Chicago:

1. Find a wedding dress (which has been a bit of a process since she got engaged over Thanksgiving)
2. Find bridesmaids dresses (which is absolutely miz because 99% of them are heinous)

Apparently Chicago has more of a selection than Cleveland. No, really?!

I'm happy to report that we checked off both to do's and spent the rest of the weekend eating and shopping (as previously noted, these are two of my FAV things).

The dress wasn't that easy though. Sis was set on having a very plain wedding dress - no lace, no sequins, no ribbon, nothing. You'd think it'd be easy to find. Nope, every dress shop is filled with very fancy, very BIG and (in my opinion) very ugly dresses. After trying on 20+ dresses (at shops in Cleveland and in Chicago), I finally forced sis to try on a dress that had a touch of lace and a hint of detail. After a zip and a tug, we knew we had finally found THE ONE. THANK YOU Weddings 826, I will not have to visit another wedding store again (anytime soon at least).

Here's a pic (praying my future brother in law doesn't decide today's the day to begin reading my blog):


Isn't it BEAUTIFUL?! The dress is classic - romantic with a touch of sexy - and it will never go out of style. Sis looks absolutely stunning in it and I'm so happy that she - I mean I - found it.

Now for me, the MOH. The bridesmaids thing is tricky. Sis kept saying - I want to find something that my bridesmaids can wear again. But, lets be serious, is there such a thing? I don't think so. Once I got her to understand that you can't pick a dress that everyone will absolutely love and want to wear again, we actually started looking at viable options.

The girls at Bella Bridesmaid were a HUGE help and we finally settled on this beautiful gown (in dark purple). I never thought I'd want something long, but the silhouette is similar to sis's wedding dress and I thought it'd be nice to go with the theme and choose something classy and conservative over flirty and fun.

OK, enough with the wedding talk. Scoot's family also came into town this weekend and we had a wonderful dinner at Feast, followed by a full night of drinking. Seriously, I lost count after my 4th or 5th Effen Cherry Vodka and Diet Coke. I'd normally say that's its not a good thing to get too drunk around your bf's rents, but when they're willing to go to Landmark and shoot back drinks until 3am, I think it's OK. We spent all day Sunday nursing our hangovers with greasy pizza and watching football (anyone else enjoy watching the Ravens lose as much I did?). Come on, I'm from CLEVELAND.

All in all, it was a great weekend and made me really appreciate family - both mine and his. I'm glad my mom got back safe from her worldly travels and thankful my dad can now text message (it's the little things).

To lead into my next post, did anyone see the spill that my girl Vicki took last night on RHOC? I about peed my pants.

Stay tuned.
S&S

No comments:

Post a Comment