Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recent Annoyances

I've been thinking for a long time that I should dedicate a post to things that annoy me. So many times a day I'm annoyed. And, most of the time, I think I have genuine reason to be annoyed. And, usually, when I tell people why I'm annoyed they agree and are annoyed themselves. Well, here it is:

1. People who stand on the moving walkway. We flew to Vegas last week and were rushing to catch our flight Thursday night when we got stopped on the MOVING walkway. A family just enjoying the ride and beautiful scenery at O'Hare. The word moving was included in the name for a reason -- it's meant to speed up the process, not slow you down. How lazy can you be?
2. Adults that cut in line. Some people never learn -- regardless their age -- that it's not OK to cut in line. My gym is insanely packed from 6 - 7pm. So Packed that I often have to wait in line to get on the treadmill (I know, join a new gym right)...anyway, there I am, finally second in line and bam someone gets off a treadmill on the opposite side of the room and the cutter (trying to play dumb and act like the treadmill line doesn't exist) hops on without ever looking in our direction. Come on.
3. While I'm on the subject of my gym and the treadmill line, another annoyance comes to mind: people who walk on the treadmill. I know, I should be happy people are getting exercise...I shouldn't judge what type of exercise, as long as they're doing it...some people have knee problems, blah, blah, blah. I don't care, it's a waste of a treadmill. Walk around your building, walk around a mall, but don't take a treadmill away from someone who's going to actually get a workout in. 
4. Yellow candy. Don't get me wrong, yellow is my favorite color, but why do they make yellow candy? No one ever likes the yellow. Yellow laffy taffy, yellow starbust, yellow skittles, it's always the worst flavor -- the one everybody picks last. They should spend the time making more pink, green and purples, yellow isn't cutting it.
5. Girls that wear heels on the train. You are not a Chicagoan if you wear heels on the train. No Midwest girl, who commutes to work everyday, wears heels. It's just not comfortable. The L involves stairs and standing and the stops aren't on every corner so there's usually a good amount of walking involved...it's just not worth it. Every time I see a girl on the train in heels, I think why are you doing that to yourself...just put them on when you get there.
6. People who stand in the front row, without front row potential. In the Bikram studio, you're not supposed to stand in the front row if you aren't well practiced and haven't been going for a long time. It's a known fact (usually announced by the teachers) but people ignore the rule all the time. I feel like this rule applies across the board for all fitness classes. If you don't know what you're doing, don't stand in the front. You're making an idiot out of yourself and doing a disservice to the people behind you who are actually trying to learn.
7. Uneven eyebrows. I've been going to the same place to get my eyebrows waxed for the past two years. And, I love my girl Kim...BUT, there's been a few times where she's stripped just a little too much, leaving me uneven. There is nothing more annoying then looking in the mirror at uneven eyebrows -- it makes me feel off center, like my whole equilibrium's off.
8. Cab drivers who AREN'T in a rush. I feel like that's why you take a cab...why you tip them...why you even pay them. They're supposed to get you where you need to go and do it fast. If I get in cab who's stopping at yellow lights, it really pisses me off. If a cabby isn't swearing in his first language, beeping his horn and throwing up his hands, all while talking into his blue tooth, there's something wrong. 
9. Meals that don't come with sides. I was brought up to believe that every main dish includes two sides: a starch and a vegetable. If I order a steak that's $40 and it's "extra" to get a baked potato or asparagus, I think it's absurd. If you're going to fork out that much on a meal, the sides should be included. 
10. The sales women in most clothing stores. When I walk into a store, I look around and I pick everything up that I want to try on. When I go into the fitting room, I have already looked around the entire store and have selected the items that I like. When I begin to try on my selections and the sales woman throws over a shirt saying "I saw you were trying on the black skirt so I brought you this shirt because they go great together," I find it a bit offensive -- I looked around the store, I picked what I want and I don't need you to match outfits for me. Just let me try on my clothes in peace without you knocking on the door every 5 minutes. 

Wow, I feel like I could go on forever. Maybe this will become a weekly post -- the things that annoyed S&S this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment