Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From Dad...

I feel the need to mention a few things before posting the loving email I received from my father this morning. First of all, I've been convinced for all 24 and 3/4 years of my life that my dad wishes I were a boy (hence my need to burp, swear, live in sweats and be overwhelming aggressive on the soccer field). Sidenote: Did I ever tell you that when it was snowing and I was seven my dad wouldn't let me wear long sleeves under my soccer jersey like the other girls? TRUE STORY. Second, my dad - like other men in my life - feels that the sport he played is THE ONLY sport out there and that everyone should like it as much as he does. I like hockey for one reason: my dad played in college (and still plays) and I love him, so therefore I will lay with him on the couch and watch center ice and/or go to games with him (I do admit that there isn't a better live sporting event, especially when you're right up against the glass). And last but not least, I'm not in YUPPYVILLE, I just happen to live in Wrigley and it's hard not to support the Cubbies. This, however, does not mean that i'm unaware of the other sporting teams I support: the Indians MURDERED the Yankees last weekend (thank you, Sizemore) and the CAVS are gonna win the NBA title this year. Oh, and as you'll read below, THE HAWKS ARE IN THE CUP PLAYOFFS!

Subject: S&S poor excuse for blog about Chicago

My darling daughter,

FYI the Blackhawks (they play in Chicago, right?) are in the Stanley Cup play-offs against Calgary. No other sporting event in the world even comes close to the intensity or excitement of the Cup play-offs. No other sporting venue in Chicago is as exciting as a "Hawks game.

A "Cubbies" game in yuppieville pales in comparison to a Cup game. Saw a guy take a stick to the mouth and lose NINE TEETH the other night and he came back to play the rest of the game. If God came down to Earth to take care of business (see Revelations in the Bible) he would do it after the Cup play-offs were over. If the Hawks are in the finals the Chicago you know today would be indistinguishable from the mayhem (or mishap) of the game finals in Chi-town.

I have labored for almost 25 years to raise you correctly...you and your sister are the pride and joy of my life...for God's sake take in a Cup play-off game and you can really write about something of note in your blog. It's the least you can do for your gray-haired old man. I'll even split the ticket price with you and Scoot (a price within reason) as an extra B-day gift (along with the computer and the bridesmaid dress you conned your mother into).

Wow, glad I got that off my chest.

Bag the Cubbies crap by the way.

Go "Canes.

I love you,

Dad

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE MR. WHEELS! I needed that today! Gotta love him.

    ReplyDelete